Lip balm is a common must-have, but unfortunately, it can contain chemicals, artificial fragrances, and salicylic acid which can actually irritate lips and cause dryness.
Go natural with this DIY Orange Creamsicle Essential Oil Lip Balm full of health benefits and great flavor.
Orange Creamsicle Essential Oil Lip Balm
- 1/2 Ounce Beeswax
- 1/2 Ounce Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Ounce Shea Butter
- 1/4 Ounce Cocoa Butter
- 30 Drops Orange Essential Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Lip balm containers
1. Place everything, but orange oil and vanilla into a glass measuring cup.
2. Fill a large saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of water. Bring to boil.
3. Once boiling, place glass measuring cup in the center of a saucepan.
4. Stir every few minutes until ingredients have melted and are combined.
5. Once all wax is melted, remove from heat and let sit 3 minutes.
6. Add vanilla and orange essential oil.
7. Pour mixture into containers and let cool.
What is Lip Balm?
Lip balm or lip salve is a wax-like substance applied topically to the lips of the mouth to moisturize and relieve chapped or dry lips, angular cheilitis, stomatitis, or cold sores. The primary purpose of lip balm is to provide an occlusive layer on the lip surface to seal moisture in lips and protect them from external exposure. Dry air, cold temperatures, and wind all have a drying effect on skin by drawing moisture away from the body. Lips are particularly vulnerable because the skin is so thin, and thus they are often the first to present signs of dryness. Lip balm can be applied where a finger is used to apply it to the lips, or in a lipstick-style tube from which it can be applied directly.
Benefits of Orange Essential Oil in Lip Balm
The very smell of orange essential oil triggers happy moments and brings pleasant thoughts to mind which is why orange oil is so frequently used in aromatherapy. It creates a happy, relaxed feeling and works as a mood lifter. Orange essential oil provides relief from inflammation, relaxes muscular and nervous spasms, inhibits microbial growth, and disinfects wounds. Sweet orange oil also boosts immunity, alleviates anxiety, anger, and depression, cures acne, and dermatitis. Another benefit of orange oil is that it promotes urination, eliminates toxins, and treats constipation.
It's easy to alter this recipe with a variety of essential oil combinations. Get creative and have fun!