Still on the fence about making your own chemical free laundry soap. Here are 5 key reasons to help you make your decision easier.
- In the long run, it’s cheaper!
- It’s chemical-free
- You can choose your own scents with your favorite essential oils
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- You don’t have to grate any soap!
LEMON AND LAVENDER LIQUID LAUNDRY SOAP
- First, measure out 1/2 cup of the Super Washing Soda and pour into a 2 gallon bucket.
- Add just enough hot tap water to cover the washing soda, and stir well to dissolve.
- Measure out and pour 1/2 cup of Baking Soda into the water/washing soda mixture, and stir well to dissolve.
- Fill up your bucket all the way to the top with hot tap water, only leaving about 1/2 inch of room on top. Make sure you do this BEFORE adding in your castile soap, or you’ll have a bubbly mess!
- Measure and pour into the bucket 3/4 cup of castile soap.
- Pour 15 drops each of your favorite lemon and lavender essential oil.
- Carefully stir everything together until well mixed.
- Pour the detergent into jars or bottles. I used a soup ladle to transfer into my big jars, but if your bottle is thinner you can use a funnel.
Pour 1/3 cup of the detergent in with your dirty clothes and wash as normal. Contents might settle to bottom or clump, but just give the bottle a good shake before you use it every time and it’ll be fine. The clumps will break up in the wash. Mixture may become clumpy when it gets cold, so store in a warm spot.
Your clothes will come out clean, chemical free, and smelling fresh!
Super Washing Soda: Or, “soda crystals,” are a highly alkaline substance, which means it can boost the effectiveness of laundry detergent especially in areas with hard water.
Baking Soda: Sodium Bicarbonate is also a detergent booster. It softens clothes, helps keep them bright, and keeps odors at bay!
Castile Soap: This natural soap is made from plant oils. It’s sensitive on skin, biodegradable, and earth friendly. It has SO many more uses than just laundry detergent!
Essential Oils: These not only provide your laundry with delicious smelling scents, but also can have calming properties as well. I used lavender and lemon blend in my detergent, and both these oils help to relax and improve moods. Some other lovely essential oils to add that have relaxing properties: orange, tangerine, grapefruit, jasmine, rose, and ylang ylang.